Thursday, October 13, 2005

O treasured opiates, how I cherish thee...

As I pop this poppy seed pastry into my mouth, I can't help but be filled with a paralyzing terror that I will fail a drug test as a result.

Okay, maybe not "paralyzing terror", but definitely minor concern touched with slight amusement. Ever since watching an enlightening episode of MythBusters, each poppy seed seems a tiny harbinger of doom.

On one of their oldest episodes, the MythBusters Adam and Jamie proved that ingesting a normal amount of food containing poppy seeds will actually lead to a positive result on a test for opium. Who would have thought? Some of those urban myth things (and Seinfeld) are actually true.

I started watching MythBusters because of Josh. He likes the educational stuff, likes watching people build things, likes people being silly. (Exhibit A: American Chopper.) Well, they say you learn something new every day. Turns out that pretty frequently, that something involves welding, exhaust, and the bullshit tolerance of a beefy man sporting a handlebar moustache.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home