Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Not exactly a 'Dixie' chick

Abbey posted a quiz on her blog the other day declaring her a 35% Dixie-speaking Southern gal. After taking the same quiz, I discovered I'm 70% plain old American English, 20% Yankee, and a woeful 10% Dixie.

That doesn't keep me from loving the new Dixie Chicks song, however. "Not Ready To Make Nice" is a reaction to the controversy lead singer Natalie Maines caused in 2003 when she declared that they were ashamed that President Bush was from Texas. As this took place during the beginnings of the war in Iraq, the Chicks found themselves denounced by many of their country fans as 'unpatriotic' and subsequently banned from a number of country radio stations. While some listeners valued their right to free speech and their tour proceeded successfully, there was considerable backlash from the country community. Matters were made marginally worse when they were vocally criticized for their views by fellow country singer Toby Keith, and a public fued ensued.

I'm not the biggest fan of public spats - I'd like it if we could all be a little more tolerant of each other's viewpoints, open to express our opinions and accept that others might think differently. But the song isn't about how Bush sucks and Toby sucks and the Chicks are awesome. It's more about how it felt to be at the center of the controversy. In fact, if you didn't know about the controversy, you might think the song was about a relationship between two people, were it not for a few lyrics.

Forgive, sounds good
Forget, I’m not sure I could
They say time heals everything
But I’m still waiting


The controversy might be specific to the Dixie Chicks and Keith and Bush and country music fans, but the feelings -- hurt, rejection, pride -- are universal. And the result, no matter what your political views, is art.

(You can listen to the song on the Dixie Chicks website.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Awesomeness! I heart the Dixie Chicks!!

I hated all that stuff that happened with them, but I hated more that they were so "banned." Everyone can voice thier opinion...but I guess everyone is allowed to hate them for it, too. Hmmm...God Bless the USA.

Oh well...I'm just super pumped that they have a new CD coming out...I've been waiting for this literally for YEARS! I bought their last one the day we started our drive from KY to CA...ahhh... memories!

PS I was actually expecting the song to be fast...LOVED that it was slow!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home