Friday, March 17, 2006

If I were the kind of gal who gets drunk, right now I'd be gulping Guinness

This week, it's been all about work. A big project I've been working on is finally coming to a close, and it's an enormous relief. While I'm really excited about this finally finishing up, I'm also a bit frustrated because I don't quite feel my coworkers know how much effort I put into this.

Let me be clear: This project was sort of thrust upon me. People in another group decided to do it, probably without really understanding what it would entail. Since it directly - nay, primarily - involves one of the key areas for which I'm responsible, I had to be involved. I had to be very involved. It wasn't work I planned to do, or that people consulted me about before taking on. It pretty much dropped into my lap--you know, like a screaming child, one that someone else gets all riled up and then hands over to you.

That said, it was a useful project, and something I'd have been keen to do myself, given the time. But I didn't really have the time. I've been busy enough with the main product I work on and several other side projects as well. Still, if I wasn't involved, I knew people would fuck it up and do things I'd disagree with and I'd be unsatisfied with the results.

So, I had to really throw myself into it and carve out a big chunk of time and deal with things that were severely unenjoyable for me. By severely unenjoyable, I don't mean staying up until 2am reorganizing data or spending mindless hours copying and pasting or getting territorial when people cast a severely critical eye on my work. I mean, coworkers.

I know there's no "I" in team. But Lord how I wish there were no "me" in team either and I could avoid working with other people all together! I could just stand on my mountain of content, possibly with some sort of scepter, and issue decrees to the people. "Yes, you may have the new email you request!" or "No, thou shalt never get the tracking links you desire!" Trust me, it would be awesome. I'd be the most loved benevolent dictator ever.

At any rate, I'm going to be pretty psyched when the project is completely out of my hands on Monday and I can go pick Murielle up at the airport with the appropriate carefree joie de vivre. Unfortunately, in order to prepare for said joie, I've got to work this weekend to make sure my commitments are all taken care of. Le sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home