Friday, September 22, 2006

Reading is fundamental

Much book-related fun over the last few days. When I don't read for a while, it really does bum me out a bit. Over the last couple months, I've only had the time to read Generation X and Housekeeping. That isn't nearly enough for me to feel my book quota has been satisfied. Books are an addiction. I need the stuff, and I need it now.

Which is why I was so excited to go to the local library book fair last week. $2 a bag, and I picked up a few goodies:

Airframe - Michael Crichton (Josh liked it)
Smoke Screen - Kyle Mills (sort of for Josh)
The Stone Diaries -Carol Shields (Pulitzer prize winning novel)
Girlfriend in a Coma - Douglas Coupland (wacky Gen-X writer)
Amy and Isabelle - Elizabeth Strout (seen on numerous bookshelves)
Corelli's Mandolin - Louis de Bernieres (supposed to be classic)
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - Alexandra Fuller (memoir)
random trashy novel - Linda Howard (irresistible!)
The Gift of Fear - Gavin de Becker (applied social psych-ish)

This week I also went to a couple book talks at work. The first was co-helmed by Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners - a dreamlike series of short stories) and Karen Joy Fowler (The Jane Austen Book Club - a smart female-focused novel). I'd read both of their books before, and they both gave readings. I enjoyed it, but wasn't quite bold enough to ask any questions. Boo me.

The second was by Ken Jennings, author of Brainiac but better known as the guy who won Jeopardy 74 times in a row a couple years back. My officemate Fritz, a former Jeopardy champion himself, did a nice little interview with Jennings, who was smart, self-deprecating, and funny. I get the feeling he's enjoying his "celebrinerd" status, but he's remaining down-to-earth.

I've started to read Brainiac and am having a nice time of it. Hopefully I'll get through it quickly and it will be a good jumping-off point to start reading more again. Fingers crossed!

1 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I have no books to read. Grrr...I need something... Any ideas?

Okay, I take that back. I'm reading one right now that I've had since my trip to Kentucky. It's called The Believers. It is set in early 1800s right when the religous revolution was hitting Kentucky. It's about a young woman whose husband drags her off to be a Shaker (aka The Believers).
It's not too bad. I thought it might be a slow read (and it is sometimes) but in general it's pretty interesting.

Did you know they were called the Shakers because that's what they did when they worshipped? They shook off the evil. No lie.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home