Sunday, January 21, 2007

2006: A Year in Books

Another year, another list of books. I read 41 "books worth noting" last year (which means I leave out super-trashy romance novels or books I don't read 100% throroughly), which doesn't sound like quite that many. There are some I just forget to write down, so it's probably more than 41, really. But who cares! Let's list 'em, shall we?

The Brothers K by David James Duncan
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman
Bones of the Moon by Jonathan Carroll
Plainsong by Kent Haruf
Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett
Straight Man by Richard Russo
The Hot Kid by Elmore Leonard
Waking Beauty by Elyse Freidman
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Three Junes by Julia Glass
The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Love Monkey by Kyle Smith
Thank You for Smoking by Christopher Buckley
My Boyfriend's Back by Donna Hanover
Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace
No Way To Treat A First Lady by Christopher Buckley
Alamo House by Sarah Bird
My Kind of Place by Susan Orlean
More Than You Know by Beth Gutcheon
Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult
Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult
Pearl by Mary Gordon
Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link
Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson
Generation X by Douglas Coupland
Brainiac by Ken Jennings
A Woman in Berlin by Anonymous
Otherwise Engaged by Eileen Goudge
Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding
Swapping Lives by Jane Green
The Guy Not Taken by Jennifer Weiner
The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne
The Thing About Jane Spring by Sharon Krum
Apex Hides The Hurt by Colson Whitehead
How To Breathe Underwater by Julie Orringer
Amy and Isabelle by Elizabeth Strout
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pressl
Twentysomething Essays by Twentysomething Writers by lots of people
I Married A Communist by Philip Roth
The Ha-Ha by Dave King

Fiction: 34

Non-fiction: 7

Favorite: Special Topics in Calamity Physics

Least Favorite: Generation X

There's always more to read -- I have an enormous list of books that grows faster than I can cross items off -- so 2007 looks to be a banner year. I'll aim for a book a week. I think I can do it. I'm always happier when I'm reading a lot.

Got any recommendations? :)

3 Comments:

Blogger car said...

I am far less of a reader than you are Joobie. In fact, I haven't finished one damn book last year...

I'll recommend two of my attempts... they've really grabbed me at the beginning. I'll tell you what I think about them if I ever finish.

Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
... I've tried to start this book about 5x. Because these attempts were like 3-4mo apart, I had to start all over but the first 4 chapers are really good so far.

Next by Michael Crichton
... I picked this up FULL PRICE (dumbass) at the airport this last weekend. So far, so amazingly interesting. I'm about 50pg in. I relate to it in a big way because it's about biotech and I ALWAYS loved Michael Crichton. His last book before this was Prey and it was awesome as well.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Macque Pere said...

Brief Interviews w/ Hideous Men is pretty funny. My favorite chapter was in regards to "the asset". Talk about being handicapable

1:07 AM  
Blogger Macque Pere said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home