Monday, August 04, 2008

The week in culture: July 28 - August 3

Watched:
It was not a big movie or TV-watching week here in the Beckmann-Veltman household. While Josh was off bachelor-partying, I watched these two:
Broken English
Disappearing Acts

Read:
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
A sci-fi classic! I was so happy that I finally made it through this, because it was damn good. It reminded me a bit of Neil Gaiman's work in that it is so creative and intellectually mind-blowing, that it creates this fantastical, full universe that is both like and unlike the one we know, and that the plot relies heavily on myth. Definitely reminiscent of American Gods -- only better!

The week in soccer:
Man did I miss this game! I played two games this week -- and surprisingly spent a lot of time in goal since our goalies were out of commission. The first game went well and we won by a large margin. The second game we won by a smaller margin, but I scored a highly satisfying goal, left-footed, in the corner, after a quick turn. It felt cheap, but it also felt pretty good.

Purchased:
I bought some comfy casual clothes with Corey at the Gap. Now I am on kind of a shoe spree. It's funny; I was never that into shoes till I realized I could buy them online. I don't really love shoe shopping in person, but being able to be roaming around on the internet, spot an "ooh that's cute" shoe and immediately have it sent to me for an in-house tryout is right up my alley.

And on the shoe topic, what is up with ankle booties? They just don't look good. Or do I just not know how to make them look good? I think the former, but correct me if they have redeeming qualities I'm immune to.

Whatever your stance on the ankle bootie, I think we can all agree that this shoe is an atrocity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home