Sunday, April 13, 2008

The weeks in culture: March 24 - April 13

Ummm...better infrequent than never?

Watched:
Another 48 Hours
Beverly Hills Cop III
(ridiculous, but we had to finish our Eddie Murphy fest)
Season 1 of Monk (though I fall asleep during the show so much)
I Am Legend
61*
(good even if you this baseball is a good sit-down spoiled)
Battlestar Galactica: Razor (rediscovering the love of this one after a long absence)
Things We Lost in the Fire
The Snow Walker

Plenty of basketball...

Read:
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich by Mark Kriegel
Loose Balls by Terry Pluto
Seven Seconds or Less by Jack McCallum

Heard:
Michael Johns' version of "It's All Wrong, But It's All Right" (I don't watch American Idol, but I caught a snippet of this, and damn but isn't this guy a little bit of all right!
A few older ones I love, like Audioslave's "Like A Stone", Roxette's "It Must've Been Love" and...shamefully...Montell Jordan's "Let's Get It On Tonite" (deplore the spelling, can't help but shake my booty to it).

Random activity of the weeks:

Flower arranging! You're looking at the results of a class at Filoli that I was lucky enough to attend. I've never thought of myself as a particularly artsy-crafty person, but I had a good time and I think I learned a bit. The materials we had to use weren't quite my favorite (I prefer more vibrantly colored blooms) but I think it turned out rather nicely. And I definitely appreciate being invited. :)

Link of the week:
Dolly Parton rocks, does she not? She's her own woman, that's for sure. I dig this collection of quotes from the lacquered, bedazzled country queen. Who wouldn't love to have that great a sense of herself? I know I would.

The weeks in soccer:
Plenty of it these past few weeks. Two games a day, lots of scoring, so much so that I can't remember the exact scores. Today we won both my games by a lot, and it was super-hot. Literally. At 8 in the morning, when we realized how comfortable we were (rather than freezing like normal), we knew it was going to be a scorcher.

My highlight of the game was scoring off a corner kick - that I kicked! It felt very "bend it like Beckmann" as I managed, for once (I'm fairly inconsistent when it comes to big kicks), to just launch up a great arc that soared over the players' heads and goalie's hands to land in the far upper corner of the net. It was a beaut.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Julie, I wish I could have seen that score! I would have yelled like the old days on the LadyHawks!

9:38 AM  
Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

So Awesome to hear about your kick...it's what every little soccer player dreams of!

Can I just say that I am SOOOO jealous that you took a flower arranging class??? I had JUST been thinking about such a thing wondering if it even existed. And, might I say, your arrangement is what is a bit of alright!!

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home