Thursday, January 19, 2006

Books do a mind good

I can't remember a time when I didn't love reading. Throughout my life, books have been a constant - always rewarding, always satisfying, always a pleasure. Even when the writing isn't good, maybe the story will give me a perspective I hadn't thought of. Or if a plot moves too slowly, there might be something in the author's turn of phrase or tone that's still captivating. I like books of all sorts, from murder mysteries to science fiction to trashy romance to dense novels.

The book I finished just a couple days ago was David James Duncan's The Brothers K, which I absolutely loved. The story sprawls across a couple decades in the life of the Chance family of Washington state. Even though it focused heavily on baseball and religion, two things I've never been particularly interested in, I still found it fascinating. Told mainly from the point of view of the youngest son, Kincaid, Brothers had such affection for the characters and such perfect character voices, I felt like a friend of the family who had known them for years, through all their struggles and successes, wins and losses. The writing was beautiful, intelligent, and thoughtful. If one could ever describe a dissection as kind or loving, that is what reading the book felt like - it felt as if the lives and hearts of the family members were laid bare before me for scrutiny and appreciation. Lovely book.

Now I'm moving on to My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult. I've read reviews of her stuff for a couple years, but hadn't gotten around to reading anything by her until a friend of mine lent me this book. This one's another told from the perspective of several different characters, and that seems like a useful device for this book in particular, since it confronts some interesting and emotional issues with medicine and family. I get the sense that it's going to be a heartbreaker (it's like I can see the plane flying over, Mom!), but Picoult has hooked me so I'm in it till the end.

What are you reading?

2 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I am ALWAYS reading something... gosh I just don't see why we get along so well : )

Right now it is my camera manual...seriously.

Then I just ordered a couple new books from amazon.com that I am mucho excited about:

~Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

~How to Open and Operate a Bed & Breakfast (it is my dream that WILL come true one day. the name we've picked out? I cannot reveal it to the public just yet...)

~Living Out Loud (another 'make yourself more creative' kinda book with super fun activities...you should look at my copy!)

~John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide (this one should be here today...SO DAMN EXCITED!!!)

~Complete Digital Photography (also supposed to be here today...want to learn as much as I can...since this has become my new obsession)

~Size 12 Is Not Fat : A Heather Wells Mystery (By: Meg Cabot, something fun...can't be all business all the time...need to be more like a mullet: business in the front, party in the back!)

And I just bought my mom a book: fast knits, fat needles. I really bought it for selfish reasons. See, since I've become OBSESSED with other people's blogs, I have found quite a few "crafy" ones. And this one woman made these AMAZING scarves for herself with that book. So I'm requesting a few of the scarves from my mom. They look like the ones you can get from Anthropologie that cost a FORTUNE!!! I am so excited!!! To see the scarves I want, go to:

http://mollychicken.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/01/quick_fix_knitt.html

and look at the last picture...I'm getting the two scarves on the outsides. Yea!!

So Excited!!!

PS Still LOVING your blog, btw.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Almost forgot to mention my other reading endevors:

After reading The DaVinci Code, I have become obsessed...which seems to be a pattern with me...with researching what is "true" and what is not.

I have found some interesting stuff in "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" which is solely a research/non-fiction book. VERY GOOD one btw.

BUT wanted to throw this book across the room: Cracking Da Vinci's Code: You've Read the Fiction, Now Read the Facts. What a load of crap! Some of it was okay, but most seemed unresearched and biased and ugly!
How can anyone compare homosexuality with beasitality and child mostlestation?!?! I mean...COME ON!

Okay, I'm done and off my soapbox...thanks for listening!

PS One lesson learned already: do NOT discuss your opinions on the book with hard core Christians who do NOT believe that there might be other ideas than theirs. WHoa! Gets REAL ugly!!!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home