Friday, February 15, 2008

Trip Report: Disneyland

Our company trip this year was to the "happiest place on earth," and aside from the California Adventure (which didn't really frost my cake, though I could see how it might appeal to out-of-staters or younguns), it was a true delight.

For starters, we stayed at the (jungle-themed!) Embassy Suites Anaheim, which was a complete blast from the past for me. The design of the hotel (a rectangular arrangement of rooms facing inward around a central fake oasis) reminded me of being a kid, either of soccer tournament trips or overnights with my Girl Scout troop. I can't remember which it was (possibly both) but it absolutely put me in the right mindset for a trip to Disneyland.

Among the fun things experienced at the Magical Kingdom:

- The Enchanted Tiki Room (a fave of Josh and a first for me, to my recollection)
- Space Mountain (hysterically fun)
- Tower of Terror (umm, legitimately a bit terrifying)
- Star Tours (love the little touches of humor in that one)
- Indiana Jones (a favorite, but it goes by so quickly!)
- the Haunted Mansion (a classic that actually frightened me with one new section)
- Pirates of the Caribbean (revamped to include Jack Sparrow anamatronics, still fun)
- lunch at the Blue Bayou restaurant (the fake-outdoors one next to PotC)
- Storybook Land Canal Boats (retro fab -- and totally empty)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (a rollicking good time)
- whatever they called the rapids ride where the front of my shirt got wet
- unfortunately, no Jungle Cruise (closed -- alas!)

Julie and her even paler palIn the evening (8pm-1am) the park was open to just my work people, so there were virtually no lines (yes, I know I'm spoiled). Josh and I got to ride PotC in our own boats, it was that empty. Surprisingly creepy, but well worth it: an experience I don't think I'll ever have again. Still, racing through the lack of lines means you don't take the time to appreciate all the effort that goes into creating the environment and ambience of each ride for the people who are waiting in line. There's so much detail; it can really transport you to another place when you're immersed in caverns or blinking electronics during your wait time. I admire the "set designers" who create the experiences. That seems like a fun job.

By the end of the day, my feet were sore, and I was cold and tired, but oddly not that hungry (heightened motion sensitivity and corresponding stomach grumpiness a delightful side effect of aging).

Every time I go back to Disneyland, it seems a little smaller. I know I'm not getting bigger anymore (much as I dreamed of being 5'8'', that ship has sailed), but the fairy tale castle looked shockingly tiny this year. No matter; I still love it. I think I've finally reached the age where I'm looking forward to taking my kids someday. Of course, for myself, there's still Disneyworld to explore; I've never been there, and man do I love geodesic domes...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home