Tuesday, March 25, 2008

The weeks in culture: March 10-23

This post should actually be titled 'The weeks in culture...or lack thereof' since I have been completely undedicated to my cultural education of late. I mean, look at this paltry compilation of my cultural consumption since March 10:

Watched:
Beverly Hills Cop II
Michael Jordan: His Airness
Becoming Jane
48 Hours
Independent's Day

Read:...in progress
Heard: ... (crickets) ...

Seriously. That's nearly nothing! How can this be?

I'll tell you how: basket-frickin-ball. Whether it's attending Warriors games in person, watching them on TV, watching pieces of other NBA games on TV, or watching UCLA and Stanford games, my March has definitely been mad so far. Let's break down all the games I've watched the past couple weeks:

Mar. 12 Warriors v. Raptors (in person)
Mar. 13 Warriors v. Suns (on TV)
Mar. 14 UCLA v. USC (on TV, PAC-10 tournament semi-final)
Mar. 15 UCLA v. Stanford (on TV, PAC-10 tournament final)
Mar. 15 Warriors v. Grizzlies (in person)
Mar. 18 Warriors v. Kings (on TV - partially watched)
Mar. 19 Warriors v. Clippers (on TV)
Mar. 21 Warriors v. Rockets (in person)
Mar. 22 Stanford v. Marquette (on TV)
Mar. 22 UCLA v. Texas A&M (on TV)
Mar. 23 Warriors v. Lakers (on TV)

Umm...it's no wonder I haven't been doing anything else. Even though I multitask, it's hard to really absorb a book or compose a heartfelt, entertaining email while you're trying to watch a replay that will show whether Monta really got fouled when he missed that layup (chances are, he did). So my lack of productivity, both in terms of chores and in terms of cultural prowess, should not be a surprise.

I also, however, did play a little soccer! However the downside of that is that I can't remember any highlights. I was kind of annoyed during one game because I kept booting it up to the forwards, but they were being a bit too lazy to run after it and put it in the goal. So that was irritating. And I failed to score on my one awesome breakaway - also irritating. But it's hard to get too bent out of shape when the weather is almost sinfully gorgeous and you get to run around for a couple hours.

Site of the Week:
So, Better World Books isn't Amazon in scope of titles. But it IS actually good for the world, I think, overall, so maybe you should buy your paperbacks there, instead? I just picked up a couple. We'll see how it goes.

Pop Culture Zen of the Week:
In the interest of my recent basketball obsession, enjoy Baron Davis' version of the Oscars. (If you don't know who he is, he's the closest thing the Warriors have to a star -- and he has one sweet beard.) I can't say that I necessarily agree with all his picks, but he's got some goofy fun categories, if nothing else.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You might find some used library books from GCPL on Better World Books. That's where we sell ours!

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home