Friday, August 08, 2008

Are you glad this week is over?

I am, so very much. It was among the more stressful weeks I've had since I started working full time. I'm a writer, y'all. Much of my work is meant to be done on my own, to a soundtrack of quiet or maybe some classical tunes. (If I listen to something with lyrics, at least English ones, the words tend to end up in my writing.)

Lately, though, it's meetings meetings meetings all the livelong day. It's hard to find time for the writing part of my job, since everything else lately seems to overwhelm it. Why are there meetings? Well, you have to know what you're writing about. And you have to meet with other people to decide on particular wording for things. And you have to find out about other people's projects that kind of touch on writing. And you have to coordinate how your writing will be implemented. All this, of course, assuming you do the actual writing at some point.

This week, in particular, was just really demanding. My office hours, which are often attended by only one or two people if any, were packed to the gills when I really could've used the time for solitary writing. While trying to have a meeting first thing in the morning I was bombarded by a flurry of IMs and the inevitable emails popping up in my inbox about this or that urgent thing. Between trying to sort out some political headaches and trying to finish a long-overdue project, I was frazzles. It was just one of those days where everybody seems to want something from you and all you want is some peace and quiet. Or possibly a stun gun and the liberty to use it.

How was your week?

1 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

YUCK! I'm sorry your week was oh so sucky! I don't really get the idea of so many meetings myself. I realize that many are mandatory, but some of them really are just a complete waste of everyone's time...esp. since they could be doing more productive things.

My week consisted of being stuck in my house because my car needed new tires and I couldn't drive it anywhere until they were replaced...on Friday. Oh the Fun! I did, however, get the entire downstairs clean because of it. Although, if you are judging my week solely on my blog posts, you'd think that I was sitting around watching movies. :) Though I did that, too! hee hee hee

Sounds like you need a day of beautiful movies: Amelie, Penelope, Down with Love...you need to sit and stare at beautiful clothes and fabulously awesome women.

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home