Wednesday, January 24, 2007

It makes the people come together

I know Corey knows the answer to this one, Jeopardy-style. It's "What is music?" Woo!

In the past few months, I haven't bought many CDs. The last I probably wrote about to all you folks was La Aguilera's Back to Basics.

I don't know why I don't buy many CDs. I think if I had iTunes, I would completely splurge, but I'm waiting to get iTunes until I get my own computer. Maybe I'll do that soon.

At any rate, back in November I bought Regina Spektor's latest CD, Begin to Hope when I heard one of her songs on Veronica Mars. That song was "Fidelity", and it's since become a favorite of mine, particular for loud car-singing. The video's pretty neat too.



After Regina, there was a musical drought until a couple weeks ago, when I bought three CDs. I list them here in order of enjoyment.

Beyonce - B'day
The first single, "Deja Vu", didn't really grab my attention, but I definitely liked the crazy "Ring the Alarm" and the melodic "Irreplaceable". As is the case with the first Beyonce CD, it's the singles that I like best from this one. The rest of the tracks don't really get me going, except for maybe "Upgrade U". So B'day, while it does have some great tracks, doesn't have the consistency that makes it worth regular rotation.



Justin Timberlake - FutureSex/LoveSound
The incessant radio play of "SexyBack" pretty much has me skipping that track every time it comes on, but the most recent single, "My Love", still has me tapping my food when I hear it. There are other good ones on the CD too: "Summer Love" is breezy and fun, and the title track has a groovy Prince-like vibe in my opinion. As with Justin's previous solo CD, the slow ones are the weakness of the album, but it's really "Sexy Ladies" that I wish he'd left on the cutting floor.



Nelly Furtado - Loose
Unlike the two albums above, all the tracks on the album are keepers, not just the singles. In fact, "Promiscuous," the most heavily-played song from the album, isn't one of its best tracks. I would give that honor to her more recent single, "Say It Right" or the more mellow ballad "Wait For You", but really it could be almost any song off the album; my favorite changes every day. With strong beats, it's great to groove to or to work out to -- it's been the soundtrack for most of my cardio the past couple weeks. I'm a big fan of all Nelly's CDs and admire her ability to jump genres and topics while still maintaining listenability. If I'd bought this a couple weeks ago, it would've been my favorite album of all last year.



What's in your CD player these days? Okay, I'm dating myself. What's on your iTunes?

1 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I too love me some R. Spektor. Several of her albums are on my Amazon wish list. And I downloaded Infidelity because I can't get the darn thing out of my head. But i esp. like when Drew sings it...FUN TIMES!!!

I also downloaded Say it Right by NF and love to Box to it.

And, as we know, I have a serious love/hate relationship with Miss B. But I totally dig Irreplaceable. I love to be an Angry Girl even when I'm not. heh And I'm not gonna lie...I HATED Ring the Alarm...but, darn it, if it didn't dig itself into my musical heart. Darn You Beyonce and your amazing publicist pushing you down our throats!!!

As for me and what I'm listening to, I've gone back to some old faves...Norah Jones (in preparation for her new release), Diana Krall (because she makes me feel so warm and fuzzy), and Toby Lightman (because...well...she ROCKS!).

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home