Thursday, February 16, 2006

Rallye ho

That's me!



Okay, not really, but I did take part in a rallye a couple weeks ago. What is a rallye? I'm so glad you asked!

A rallye is a type of driving game that involves following directions based on logic and on some very complicated instructions. It's not a race; if it was, I'd have done terribly since I drive like a card-carrying member of the AARP. (Though there are timed rallyes, the Gimmick Rallye, which is the kind we did, is more mental gymnastics than anything else.)

To start, the rallye organizers provide you with driving directions as well as two sets of instructions: General Instructions (which apply to the rallye overall) and Special Instructions (which only apply one at a time, like specific tasks you complete). To complete the rallye and arrive at the final destination, you have to follow the driving directions while keeping in line with both the general instructions and whichever special instructions are in effect at the time. Along the way, you'll come across certain signs that you have to mark down on your score sheet to indicate you went the right way. It takes analytic thought, considerable attention, and a healthy dose of masochism to get through it!

Josh and I combined our (meager) mental powers with those of his parents, and we had a great time even if we didn't do very well. While driving along and trying to figure out the right way to go, I kept mentally running through my list of acquaintances to think of who I know that would a) be really good at the rallye and b) actually enjoy it. (Only one person has to drive, and you go pretty slow, so the driving part isn't really stressful, FYI.) I thought my dad might be good at it (he likes logic) and Abbey might like it (she likes mental games...not Head Games), but I'm not sure it would tickle just anyone's fancy.

The Rallye Club holds a rallye the first Saturday of the month, most months. Think you've got what it takes? Even if you don't, it's pretty darn fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home