Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Chick lit: the cure for what ails ye

Abbey rules for many reasons, not the least of which is her generous lending nature. I'd been in a bit of a reading slump lately, not really having the stamina or the free time to plow through all the real "literature" sitting around at my house(Philip Roth, Carol Shields, Toni Morisson). So Abbey was kind enough to lend me a stack of chick lit. Easy to get through, with satisfying endings and enough wit to make you feel a little peppier, these books are just what the book doctor ordered.

So what was in the stack?

Otherwise Engaged - Eileen Goudge
Not bad. But not really good. I read this one first because I suspected it would be the least satisfying of the bunch. (I was right.)

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination - Helen Fielding
Excellent! Perfectly fun and escapist. I'd read that Fielding's first book following the whole Bridget Jones hoopla, Cause Celeb, was rather poor, but this one's right up there with the imaginative goofiness and verve of Bridget.

Swapping Lives - Jane Green
Jane has great ideas, but she takes a while to express them. If this had been about 15% shorter, I might've liked it about 15% more.

The Guy Not Taken - Jennifer Weiner
Short stories. Not what I go for most of the time, but it's good to branch out, a little. Not all the stories are her typical romantic comedy fare either. Intersesting that she wrote some of them as far back as 16 years ago. I wonder how my stories from 18 would hold up! (I don't wonder, really. They would hold up badly.)

The Little Lady Agency - Hester Browne
Good premise, good plot, kept my attention throughout, but then petered out a bit at the end. Still, recommended for the smart, resourceful heroine. Believe it or not, it kept me guessing until the end.

Something Borrowed and Something Blue - Emily Giffin
Haven't read these yet. According to Abbey, they're quite good, so I am to savor them.

And one not-really-chick-lit but necessary for borrowing:
Special Topics in Calamity Physics - Marisha Pessl
Everything I've heard about this is great. Maybe now that I've got some book momentum, I can barrel through it.

What are you all reading lately? Anything trashy and delightful? It doesn't have to be chick lit. I like all sorts of things. I'm just going through a bit of a phase, it seems.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

I'm glad that you are enjoying them! They really are fun and escapist! That's all they're really good for, but they do the job well. : )

Myself, I just finished up The Thirteenth Tale (which I will bring you when I see you next week) and also The GiftBag Chronicles...not bad...but not that great either. Pretty typical Chick Lit. I picked it up in paperback because it was about a party planner! : ) You know me and the party planning!!

I'm getting ready to start The Blind Assassin...hope it's good because I need a new author to read. I read so much that I catch up so quickly on their books that I have to wait a year or more to get the next one.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Leaning Shanty Farm said...

Just thought of something else...it's funny that you were needing some chick lit to read because, as much as I love my non-thinking chick lit, I've been needing some literature...or at least some good writing!! We've both been getting what we want...minus my foray into The Giftbag Chronicles! : )

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home